Brian Alan Lang EA


I understand the Complexities of International Tax issues

Having lived overseas for more than 16 years (London, Paris, Cape Town, Melbourne and Zurich), I understand the complexities of international tax issues. Whether you are an American living overseas or a foreigner living or investing in the United States, you will need to file a US tax return.

As of January 2018, if you have become delinquent in your US tax filings, and live overseas, the IRS can prevent you from renewing your US passport.

However, if you are delinquent in your tax filings you may be eligible for the Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures. If you qualify for this program, you may only be liable for the tax liabilities and interest and avoid fines and incarceration. I can guide you through the process, which includes the completion of three years of required returns, the submission of six FBARs (Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts, FinCen 114) and 14653 statement.

Living overseas may also create further reporting requirements if you have a Passive Foreign Investment, PFIC, or are a shareholder of a foreign corporation. This may also apply if you are a member of a foreign partnership, even if it is considered disregarded. The penalties for not filing such returns can be severe, so these requirements cannot be ignored.